Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Christ-Reliance vs. Self-Reliance

Ever since I realized about God's grace around two years ago, the Lord spoke to me about many areas in my life. The first time I heard His voice so clearly was in March last year, when I flared up in front of my friend as he was teasing me and got me flared up. He said, "I give you grace, I don't demand from you; why are you demanding from others?" And ever since then I was more chill about people around me.

On 14 May 2013, I heard the voice as I was reading through the book of Jeremiah, chapter 42 to 43. The Israelites tried to earn their own sustenance and provision in another land away from the favor of the Lord and, since God wasn't with them, would naturally be terribly defeated. Then the Lord spoke, "I hate (In a strong sense; the degree of 'abhor') it when my people rely on their own efforts." My interpretation of this is that they are proud, boastful and think they are capable to sustain themselves, failing to humble themselves under the arms of Almighty God, the God who heals, the God who provides, the covenant keeper. Instead, they worked our their own salvation without God and they suffered.

I was on Twitter, and I saw all the statuses of my friends. Don't get me wrong: I completely respect my friends for having their own view and perspective on things. I admit that they have, in some areas, accomplished more than I have. They are wonderful people. However, when I checked their profiles out of curiosity, I noticed a general trend (doesn't apply to the exceptions): either people put out comments of self-pity or comments saying, " You can do it!" "Believe in yourself" "Make miracles everyday!"

On the surface, people will feel encouraged by these. Yet, looking at what the Lord told me, I noticed some thing in these quotes: where does one find the ability to do so? It's so easy to say, "Persevere! Don't give up!" Hey, we humans can say, but which right-minded being actually can carry it out without flailing?

This is where the world is lacking. I see the comments of these people and sympathize with them, for they are of the world. The world has no God. The world is only caring about itself, I, me and myself, and does not put Jesus in His rightful place at His throne. The world hates Jesus; and hence their comments of self-ability. However, when I see professing believers expressing similar thoughts, I feel extremely dis-satiated. Who is Jesus to them? Do they still rely on self effort? If so, then where is Jesus in the center of their lives?

I believe this: only Jesus as center can our lives be made completely whole. There ain't no other but the Son. The world may try all it may but still fall short. Man is fallen and cannot help themselves; that's why we need a Saviour! A redeemer! By not letting Jesus reign in our vocations, we are restricting His power in our lives. We don't see a loving God who wants to and will help us in our times of need. Hey, THAT'S WHAT THE ISRAELITES DID IN JEREMIAH 42! We should rest in Jesus in EVERYTHING that we do. Let our speech impart grace not because we are sweet talkers but because we let Christ take over our lives. This then produces true abundant life. Jesus says that He has come that we might have life, and life MORE ABUNDANTLY (John 10:10). WITHOUT JESUS, WE CANNOT EVER EXPERIENCE ABUNDANT LIFE!

People tell me in utter rebuttal, "Well, God helps those who help themselves." My response is this, "Is that scriptural?" That is not Bible! That is Benjamin Franklin! Look, I'm not talking about job. The Bible says "He who does not work, let him not eat." (2 Thessalonians 3:10) It's clear. But here's the issue, in our pursuit to pursue happiness as the world pursues, we forget that only God can give us a fulfilling life, regardless of vocation. Only Jesus can make us complete. Yet, we try to fill this bottomless chasm of happiness, of self-determination, of self-will, that we forget that we are HELPLESS. We keep on trying and trying, hoping that fate may bring a better tomorrow, trusting that our works will better our lives, when the truth is that we are helpless. That's right: man is helpless! THAT'S WHY WE NEED A SAVIOR!

I keep seeing comments talking about self-wit, competition, self-gain. Hey, the world can think this for all they want, BUT NOT THE BELIEVER! YOU, MY FELLOW BELIEVER ARE A CHILD OF GOD! WHY ARE YOU EVEN CONCERNED ABOUT WHAT THE WORLD'S WAYS OF PURSUING HAPPINESS!? THE WORLD IS FALLEN.

Yet, we think that the world's method of self-reliance and self-effort can get us to happiness. No.

You see, Jesus is our everything. Only Jesus can satisfy. God isn't impressed with how people are able to do things on their own. God isn't impressed with the Math Genius; God CREATED MATH. God isn't impressed at the most graceful dancer: HE CREATED ART. God's only happy when His children tell Him, "Daddy God, I cannot do this. I rest in You, for You know much, much more than I do," and show complete reliance on the Creator, the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.

My fellow Christians, stop acting strong. Stop putting up a false front which will never satisfy you. Start placing Jesus as Lord. I've experienced dramatic turns for the better when Jesus became not just my friend but also my Lord. Commit every part of your life to the Lord. When I committed my friendships to Jesus, I said, "Jesus, my friendships are a wreck. I don't know how to improve them. I commit this into Your hands, knowing that You know better than me about my friendships." Since then, Jesus brought me to a place of finally realizing that friends will never, never, ever satisfy me more than my Lord Jesus can. And after realizing that and resting in that, God gave me two wonderful brothers who are on fire for Him. They just came over and started to want to hang out with me more and more. I love them but more so with God: it's as though He turned it around for my good!


Jonathan and Daniel, the wonderful brothers God gave me to support me in my walk with Him.

Look, only Jesus as Lord can satisfy. Stop trying to live life on your own: start resting in His grace! Stop trying to study hard; rely on God and He will give you both the desire AND the strength to study. Stop trying to maintain friendships on your own; God wants to bless you with life-edifying friendships that bless you and glorifies His name. Jesus knows the best of your life; stop resisting His love and start trusting in Him that HE WILL MAKE A WAY.

Jesus at the center of it all!

--

Joel Kindiak (Joel Chang)
Highly Favoured

No comments:

Post a Comment