Saturday, May 24, 2014

Justified

And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. [James 5:15]

(This devotional was written on 19 May 2014)

As promised, I would talk about-hands down-the most guilty day of my life. It happened a short while back, after serving in church!

We were celebrating the birthday of our friends at a nice chalet with a large swimming pool. All was well until about, say, 9pm, when we decided to have some Western fun of pushing everyone into the pool. Most of them were fine, until we pushed in one of them.

Well, she got a shock and later on was half-unconscious. My leader rebuked me for setting a terrible example for my younger churchmates, considering that I was one of the oldest teens there. I nearly killed someone. I was rebuked. I was, hands down, condemned.

Condemned.

Every step I took as I went to find a place to seek solace was filled with the ominous cloud of condemnation, fear and guilt. I felt faint. I felt bad, cos I nearly took the life of a friend; all because of one reckless move!

And later on, the adults called me to sit by our friend, still semi-conscious on the picnic bench. My heart wrenched as I saw her just...lying there. I was fearful. I was afraid. I felt as though I'm the world' biggest sinner.

And I prayed.

"Father, I do not deserve anything good. I nearly killed someone and I'm the world's biggest sinner. However, I live not by my actions but by Your grace. And I can do the impossible not because I am good but because You are good."

I looked to our friend and said, "In the name of Jesus, I command you to rise," and the next moment, she rose from the bench. Over the next few days she rested well and recuperated, giving me one of the biggest sighs of relief ever.

The prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Amen and Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment