Sunday, February 23, 2014

It’s About God’s Love for You, Not Your Love for God!

Joel Kindiak Expositions (4)
Date: 23 February 2014
Topic: It’s About God’s Love for You, Not Your Love for God!

About a week ago, the world celebrates Valentine’s Day, primarily focused on romantic love. In other seasons, churches all over the world expound on the cruciality of loving God, that it is the most important commandment ever. Yet, do we see true love prosper? Or how about in the church, where we preach the need to love God: do we see increased love for God? I beg to differ. On the contrary, it is the realization of the love of God that produces love for God.

Jesus summed up the law with these two commandments: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength [Mark 12:30] and thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself [Mark 12:31] Wait a minute; doesn’t God know that man is unable to love Him with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his mind, and with all his strength? Why then did God give this commandment? It’s precisely because God wants man to reach the end of himself, so that God can, in essence, say, “See, I knew you couldn’t do it. Now watch me: I’m going to love you with all my heart, and with all my soul, and with all my mind, and with all my strength” and give Himself up at the cross, arms stretched wide open. Jesus, at the cross, cried out for the first time ever, “My God”, (Matthew 27:46) signifying how he took our place and became sin. He became sin despite having committed no sin. Likewise at the cross, we became righteous despite having committed no righteousness. (2 Corinthians 5:21) And in that divine exchange, Jesus cried “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me”, so that you and I can cry, “Father, Father, (Romans 8:15) why have you so blessed me!”

There is 2 types of Christians typified by 2 disciples on the night Jesus was betrayed: Peter and John. What did they do? Peter declared, “Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away,” [Matthew 26:33] essentially boasting of his love for the Lord. John, on the other hand, had leaned back against him (Jesus) during the supper, [John 21:20] essentially boasting of the Lord’s love for Him. The outcome? The one who boasted of his love for the Lord denied knowing Him 3 times, (Matthew 26:69–75) while the one who boasted of the Lord’s love for him was ministering unto the Lord in his final moments. (John 19:26–27) Trying to source out the love of God produces limited results, but we love because He first loved us. [1 John 4:19] Let’s stop focusing on our love for God but instead pin our hopes on God’s love for us. Our love for God is an overflow of God’s love for us.

You will never know how much God loves you until you know how much God loves Jesus, because He gave Jesus up for you. For God so loved you that He gave His One and only Son, that you shall not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16) How then, do we gain greater insight into God’s love? While he who is forgiven little, loves little, [Luke 7:47] conversely, those who are forgiven much, love much. Now we’re all forgiven much, and as far as the east is from the west, so far does God remove our transgressions from us. [Psalm 103:12] The difference therefore is our revelation of how much God has forgiven us. On what basis can we be forgiven? On the basis that Jesus was condemned, that we might be accepted. The more you realise that you are forgiven, that God knows your good, bad and ugly, yet still loves you enough to die for you, the more you realise God’s love for you.

My friend, the love God has for you is constantly infinite. Yet, such boundless love that compelled God to send His Son, His one and only Son, the Son whom He loves will take us all eternity and beyond to fathom. It is not about your limited love for God, but it is about God’s abundant love for you!

If you would like to be saved, you may pray this simple prayer:

Lord Jesus, I confess that I am a sinner. Thank You for loving me and dying for me on the cross. Your precious blood washes me clean of every sin. You are my Lord and my Savior, now and forever. I believe that You rose from the dead and that You are alive today. Because of Your finished work, I am now a beloved child of God and heaven is my home. Thank You for giving me eternal life, and filling my heart with Your peace and joy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment