Monday, June 16, 2014

#junehols2014 [13 June 2014] Camp Kadash Day 1

Joel Kindiak
Date: 13 June 2014
Topic: #junehols2014 [13 June 2014] Camp Kadash Day 1

(I may include more photos in these Camp Kadash posts, considering that it’s the final church camp I’ll be attending with Riverlife Church.)

Well, here we go! Day 1 of Camp Kadash, and we kicked it off with a bang. Pastor Ernie preached yet another message about how we need to be set apart (aka law) when, I always feel, we should talk about how Jesus is holy, and as He is, so are we in this world.



Nonetheless, I met my “District” (aka Camp Group), District 15, and am part of the “Faction” called Zeo, which represents zealousness, symbolised by fire. So we’re coming up with lots of cheers based off my school’s orientation camp by altering the words to fit our fire theme. It’s going to be pretty cool, if you ask me. I’m believing God for an awesome Camp Kadash and an even more post–Camp Kadash.


We had lunch then boarded the bus to the Amansari Hotel (via Singapore and Malaysia checkpoints, of course). Played chess on the bus and won and lost a match, with different opponents of different calibre (duh). It wasn’t too hard for me since I generally knew everyone in my District, and could mingle pretty comfortably with them plus the remaining 3 dudes whom I have never seen before in my life. There we settled down and started to play some party games like “Splat” and “Concentration” and definitely felt more bonded as a District afterward. We then broke out in some cheers that rallied us together as one faction, with the theme of zeal and symbol of fire. The first thing after the Faction Initiation (as they term it) was to run off to the buffet table to get dinner before the queue piles up till it is too discouraging to even eat dinner. Compared to KSL Hotel last year, this food certainly was a step-down, but still great food, nonetheless. We got our rooms and are just chilling in the cool air–conditioned hotel room. Heck, I’m in the room between dinner and service typing this segment anyway! (I’m typing these segments at different times so that we won’t need to rush through them hastily at the end of the day).


So we went to the main room for service prep. I took the time to confide in Pastor Michael Ross Watson and share with him the conundrum that I experience every time with my feelings. He told me to choose the Lord over all else, and I’m going to do just that, letting go of my opportunity cost to follow the Lord. The Lord has better plans in store for me anyway.


And on to the service. It started off with yet another powerful worship service, where freedom was released in the place. Pastor Watson shared with us his experiences being led by the spirit and the way to be led by the spirit. I do realise that Pastor Watson did these without parental constraint and the ability for him to make his own decisions, whereas as Singaporean youths we are still legally under the care and responsibility of our parents and hence cannot make impromptu flights to other countries or spend bombs purchasing expensive goods for random people we have never met before (our money is our parents’). Nevertheless, I do realise the significance of standing out from the crowd, to be irrational when everyone around you is rational. We did then proceed for ministry time and have cell time, and finally I’m back in the hotel room typing this, enjoying air–conditioned environment and the comfort of my sleeping attire.

Throughout the day, I’ve been taking selfies with my churchmates. It’s the last church camp I’ll be attending with Riverlife Church, so why not make the most out of it? I’ve got some great photos (though none of them with outstanding quality) with great people, although some of them are sensitive about it and hence lead me to prohibit publishing them on the blog.

Nonetheless, here are some great shots:




 


That’s it for Camp Kadash Day 1. It was great; my District mates were quite fun–loving and could get along with each other pretty well, and my cell time this year was much more precious and appreciated and received by me than last year’s Kingdom Call. I can’t wait to see how this camp shall unfold as we are transformed by His image to be set apart. As He is, so are we in this world. One down; three to go!

Reflections:
  1. To be holy, we fix our eyes on Jesus, and as He is, holy and set apart, so are we in this world.
  2. Party games help break the ice and bring peoples of different backgrounds together. Penalties are a must–have risk factor for there to be motivation to play the game.
  3. Always be the first at the buffet table. You won’t regret it.
  4. Sweet, sweet, SWEET air–conditioner: how I will never take you for granted…(double heart emoji)
  5. It’s great to confide in a fatherly figure and just share with him your troubles.
  6. The Spirit is unreasonable and irrational, and that’s what will cause us to be set apart from the reasoning, rational world around us.




No comments:

Post a Comment